Thursday, July 24, 2008

Bring on the Rain

It seems I'm the only person in the Greater Toronto Area that is not complaining about the weather.

I LOVE this rainy summer. The usual stifling humidity of late July/early August in Toronto has been kept pretty much at bay because of the almost daily rainshowers or thunderstorms. Being pregnant and overheated anyway, the last thing i need is to live in a sauna.

A lot of our American friends don't really understand the extremes in weather we can get here. Yeah, with windchill it can get to -40F in January...but this time of year, we're usually looking at 95F plus humidity of 80-110% which can bump it up to 111F.

For the first time since forever, we haven't had the air conditioning on non-stop since June. It's been on the past week, but I'm hoping to shut it off and open the windows after the weekend (when it's supposed to get warmer).

August is our grossest month for heat and humidity, so once we get past that, I will feel MUCH better. Until then, bring on the rain!

5 comments:

Larry said...

Aren't silver linings fun. :)

Callie said...

I am with you, Penny!

I love thunderstorms. I hate hot weather (especially when pregnant - that was the worst).

Oh - and that has to be one of my favorite songs.

Enjoy the weather while it lasts!

lowk said...

I can feel for you penny. I was in the phillipine jungles for about four months and the humidity SUCKED!!! I lost about 15lbs. Since then I've learned to love areas like Arizona and New Mexico. Would luv to live in the high desserts when I retire but I'd have to lock callie in the freezer.

Callie said...

Well, if we win the lottery, then we can have a home in the high dessert for Lowk, and a home in the mountains for me.

But, then I guess I'd actually have to play the Lottery to actually win it.

Hey Penny - when are you gonna post again????

Dtrini said...

OK, the rain is in no way an excuse for that video. ;) Sorry, just not my cup of tea that one.

I LOVE the rain. I have always said I think I could leave in Vancouver or London because I do NOT find rain depressing. Sure, I love to see the sunlight and feel the warmth on my skin. That said, I think rain is LIFE and CLEANSING and brings GROWTH and NEW BEGINNINGS and STRENGTH for existing living things. Remember, water is the one item no living thing can do without.

Besides, all my favourite geek stores are empty when it rains, and the theatres are less full and we can generally get much more done when there is a torrential storm because a very few, oddball, mad assortment of us would dear traipse about in a monsoon.

:)