Thursday, July 31, 2008

We're Gonna Turn You On, We're Gonna Give You the Power...

The other day I asked Mossy if he remembered the Electric Company. He had a very vague memory of the name, but that was about it. As a side note, that's the price you pay for growing up so isolated that you had two TV channels.

Anyway, I loved The Electric Company. I don't think my sister and I missed a show. Does this tweak anyone's memory?


What do you think Morgan Freeman says when reminded that he started his incredible and admirable career singing songs like this:



I don't think any of us watching the show as children realized the incredible list of writers/guest stars/narrators that were on the show. Check it out, here.

I'm excited that they're bringing the show back for the 2009 season, but how can it possibly can it adapt things like Easy Reader for the new millenium?



Will he be Gangsta Reader now?

7 comments:

Callie said...

I loved the Electric Company. It was so much better than Sesame Street. I couldn't believe when they cancelled it.

I can't wait to go home and watch the videos. Work doesn't allow You Tube. :-(

Outburst said...

For a second,I thought you meant you asked him if he remembered to pay the bill... ;)

Larry said...

I vaguely remember the Electric Company. The cancelation took place when I was a wee lad.

lowk said...

WOW!!! you gues are YOUNG!!! When you get to ricochet rabbit or The Winchell Mahoney show let me know.

lowk said...

oops, missed spelled guys. (Damn I'm gonna pay for that)

Callie said...

Stupid Blogger ate my comment.

I was just saying Thanks to Penny for posting those wonderful videos.

It was great seeing Morgan Freeman looking so YOUNG! Rita Moreno looked gorgeous, as always.

I also think the writers of the Electric Company must have dropped acid before writing some of those scripts.

Dtrini said...

That is why you are my sister! Electric Company, Great Space Coaster, Mr/ Dressup, The Friendly Giant, yes, Sesame Street too. These are all what helped make my childhood filled with special memories. It was not gimmicks and ties in to try to make us buy the next doo-dad they were schlepping in stores. It was an honest attempt at educating the young and it worked. To this day, I can still sing most of the theme songs to all of those shows because they had meaning and the lessons stuck. In many ways, with the super clean, PC stuff spewed today, I think kids are missing out on the spontaneous fun side of things instead of the contrived fun times we had.

Seriously -
Super Grover or Barney?
Non-speaking Spiderman or Tinky Wink?
Garry Gnu or those animals made of letter?

And on and on and on...

As for the return of the show, I think a Vanilla Ice type white rapper should do the Easy Reader role. I'd watch it just for the ability to laugh at the guy. "Check out my hook as the DJ revolves it... Ice ice baby!"